Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Do You Remember...See Wees?

 
So my twin kdg students had a birthday today, and they were all excited because they each got a Nintendo DS.  Apparently their family has the same tradition mine did, where you could open one present on the morning of your birthday, before school.  Man do I remember that!  I'd open it, get all excited, but wasn't allowed to take it out of the package yet, because I had to go to school.  EW!  Not fair!  To this day, I still strongly believe we (I) should have the day off on our (my) birthday.

Anyway, with this stupid tradition, you get to spend all day in school, not learning a damn thing because your tunnel-visioned thoughts are on that present from this morning, planning all the things you'll do when you get home.  But time is moving backwards, and at this rate you might never get home.  Ever again.

But you do.  And you play.  And you're happy.  For now, until the next thing comes along...


This is what I lost a day of learning thinking about...
I remember one birthday...my kindergarten year birthday (like my kids today).  I remember it well, probably because we have pics of it in the family album.  Anyway, I got 2 Sea Wees...little pastel colored mermaids.  They had solid formed bodies except for a twisting head, and matching pastel hair, which was the coolest part.  So basically all these dolls did was get their hair brushed.  But they came in colors like pink, lavender, aqua...so for a 5 yr old girl, that makes them automatically awesome.  Some Sea Wees ("Icy Gals", I think) came with baby Sea Wees.  ...these were even more inanimate than the bigger ones, as they had a totally solid body, and no hair...so again, not sure what the attraction was, but I reiterate: pink, blue, lavender... Icy Gals were no different than regular Sea Wees, save for "fur" jacket collar molded into their plastic bodies.  And they came packaged with a foam sponge "iceburg"...  Anyway, Sea Wees were awesome.  Don't know why, but they were.  And I remember them fondly.

No comments:

Post a Comment